Is it really worth it to pay a professional lawn service to maintain my property?
Yes. Real Estate experts estimate that the value of a well maintained lawn adds 10 to 12 percent to the value of your home. A professional lawn care company can provide you with a customized lawn maintenance program designed specifically for your property that will improve the value of your home.
Aren’t all lawn care companies the same and shouldn’t I just shop around for the lowest price?
No, there is a great deal of differences among lawn care companies. Many companies are not licensed or properly insured to perform many important lawn care practices such as fertilization and weed control, insect control, tree & shrub spraying, etc. Also, many companies provide only a small number of services, i.e. mowing only, versus a full service company that can provide an entire lawn care program.
What are some important maintenance practices that I should consider for my property?
First, the most overlooked practice is a soil test to determine the condition of your soil. This is an inexpensive test that will determine what needs to be added to your soil to make it more conducive to growing healthy grass. Secondly, dethatching your lawn in the spring and core aerating in the fall are two of the most beneficial things you can do for your lawn. Thirdly, mowing the grass at the maximum height with sharp blades are very important and will help to keep diseases and weeds out of your lawn. If your lawn care company is not sharpening their blades at least every day they are doing you a disservice.
What should I look for when trying to determine who to hire to maintain my lawn and property?
There are several important questions you can ask a potential lawn service contractor:
- Do you perform background checks on all your employees?
- Do you carry Workman’s Compensation insurance on all your workers? (Many companies illegally classify their employees as subcontractors, avoiding work comp. premiums, but leaving the liability to the host worksite.)
- Are you licensed to perform the work, specifically to apply chemicals, including weedkiller in fertilizer, and can you supply a copy of your pesticide applicator license?
- How long have you been in business and can you supply a list of references?
Why should I choose Green Thumb Lawn & Turf Specialists to maintain my lawn and property?
Three Good Reasons are:
- We are a full service lawn care company that can design a program for your lawn that includes a variety of services that work together to promote a healthy, beautiful turf.
- All our employees have undergone a background check, are always in uniform, and are knowledgeable about their job.
- Green Thumb Lawn & Turf is beginning its tenth season as a lawn service company. Over those ten years we have consistently had a very high customer retention rate, which is unusual for this type of service industry. We are committed to working as our customer’s problem solver and trusted partner in maintaining their property.
What is IPM and why is it important in maintaining my property?
IPM (Integrated Pest Management) is a method of managing your landscape that entails the use of a number of methods in addition to chemicals to kill unwanted weeds and insects. Although the use of chemicals is an effective way to rid your landscape of unwanted weeds and insects, it should never be the “only” method. Any licensed lawn care professional should be well aware of how to use IPM to manage your lawn.